Sunday 22 November 2015

1.7 Guardsmen Part 2

Legacy quickly gets to work at the desk in her new lab while Leo stands in the doorway. She hasn’t gotten any of her old projects here yet, but Leo has provided her with a variety of equipment, including a large assortment of electronic devices.

What can I make with what I have available? I got materials and the hardware to create stuff. What do I need? I have a lot of stuff already, pretty much all of the basics really. I got some of the more advanced stuff. Perhaps I should try making a more stable version of the overcharged energy projector baton.

Or you could see what Leo has to say. I believe that he wishes to speak to you.

You think so?

“Hey Legacy,” says Leo, “I want to speak to you about a couple of things privately.”

“Privately?” repeats Legacy as she turns around to face him.

“Well, Jaylyn will be listening in and we both our own voices in her heads,” says Leo, “I want to speak you about I uncovered when examining the samples you gave me.”

The samples. Legacy remembers those. At the start of the week, Legacy gives Leo come biological samples from her body, such hair, blood and skin in addition to a biometric scan.

I wonder what he found out? Do you have any ideas on what he found?

Possibly. Nothing that I consider out of the normal, but he might have uncovered things that he or others might deem unusual.

Okay. Are any of these things dangerous or bad?

No. Or least not that I’m aware of. Others might have different opinions.

That’s good to know.

“Sure,” replies Legacy.

“Well, for starters, you have nanomachines throughout your body,” says Leo as he walks over to Legacy’s desk and pushes a few buttons on a touch screen.

A fuzzy and unclear holographic 3D image appears in front of Legacy and Leo, showing a machine. The machine consists of blue sphere made from a semi-transparent material. It also has several thin, black cylinders extending from the sphere.

Wait, the projector isn’t of poor quality, but the image it is projecting is. It seems that it has been zoomed in several times and then altered further to only show the machine.

“This is a picture of one of the nanomachines that I found in all of the biological samples you gave me,” continues Leo, “They were pretty much undetectable, even by your bio-scanner and all of my devices. It was only because I stumbled across one by accident that I even realised they existed. As for what else I know about them is only that they are so small even my technology can barely detect them. It’s real annoying, especially since your entire body is jammed packed full of them.”

They are called Nanites.

You knew about them?

Yes, they are the primary source of your power. Even with them not operating at full capacity, they are still very effective.

My powers will grow stronger? When will that happen?

In time as we grow further in sync with each other.

That makes sense.

“My companion says that they are called Nanites and are the source of my powers,” Legacy tells Leo.

“Really?” replies a surprised Leo, “I wasn’t expecting answers that quickly.”

There is no point in keeping information secret between us.

I completely agree with that.

“My companion and I feel that there is no reason for us to hide such information from you,” says Legacy, “So what else have you uncovered?”

“The other major thing I uncovered was that you are only partially human,” answers Leo with a frown on his face, “I can’t compare with the majority of parahuman DNA since I only have access to my own, Cain’s and Allison’s, but ours are all still human if altered. Well, enhanced really, but that is a different matter we can talk about later. You have some human DNA, but about two thirds of it is, just, well different. Not human and I don’t think it is from Earth. I mean, I can’t be completely certain about that until I tested every sample of DNA on the planet. Not only that, but your biology is definitely not human either. So I have a large amount of confidence that you are a human-alien hybrid.”

Really?

He is correct.

You knew about this?

No, but I know how it is possible and most likely came about. It is, none the less, still unexpected to me.

So what is the other two thirds of me if not human.

Deltaen, the species of my creator, would be the most likely probability.

Okay. I’ll go ahead the relay the information to Leo.

“My companion says that the non-human DNA is most likely Deltaen, the species of her creator,” Legacy tells Leo.

“Seriously?” says Leo as he gives Legacy an odd look and she nods, “Okay, give a moment to make sense of all this. I wasn’t expecting to get all these answers so easily and quickly. According to the comics, it should take much longer.”

Legacy watches Leo as he paces back and forth, clearing deep in thought. After a moment, he stops and turns back to face Legacy.

“I need to ask a couple of things,” says Leo, “Is your companion an AI and are you from a different dimension?”

Yes and yes.

“Yes to both of those questions,” answers Legacy.

“Okay, so my theory is that you’re a human-alien hybrid who landed here on Earth,” says Leo as he begins pacing again, “You were involved whatever incident ended up giving powers to people on our world and arrived in our world shortly after the source of the powers did. The event and/or your arrival must have caused your memory loss. It would explain why there are no records of you on the planet and why you are so...abnormal, even by the new standards of our world.”

I believe Leo to be correct and I can say the majority of is undoubtedly correct.

Leo is good at figuring these things out.

His power has greatly increased his mental and intellectual capabilities so it isn’t that surprising.

True.

“My companion says she believes your theory to be correct,” says Legacy.

“Well, that’s good I suppose,” mutters Leo, “Knowledge is better than ignorance. That said, I got another question or two to figure out the answer to for everyone that got answered just now. I’m going to need some time to think about things. Can we continue this discussion at a later point?”

“Sure,” replies Legacy.

As Leo walks out of the room with a weary sigh, Legacy goes back to her desk.

What do you think I should do?

Figure out a way to make the overcharged energy projector baton stable and suitable for long term use.

Okay.

2 comments:

  1. And now we find out more about Legacy. In particular, the facts that she is an alien-human hybrid, her powers come from super advanced alien technology and that her powers will get stronger. That said, I have all of the limits and abilities of Legacy already planned out and even cut some of them back to stop them from becoming overpowered (Ceta is an old AI who has been through a lot).

    Other than that, the main reason I revealed this info about Legacy this early in the story was because I couldn't think of a good reason it would stay hidden. For starters, Leo would try to find out more about Legacy. And then when he uncovered some of this stuff, Ceta wouldn't keep secrets from Legacy and in turn, Legacy wouldn't keep secrets from Leo. So rather than come up with some reason for why it would secret, I just had my characters act in accordance with their characterisation.

    As for next time, we switch to Leo's perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A quick update. I have added a poll so that you may pick a character that I will write an interlude about and will be posted before the end of chapter seven.

    ReplyDelete