Friday 25 December 2015

Interlude - Joan

“Surprise!” says Alexis as Joan wearily opens her eyes.

What was I doing? Oh that’s right, getting a nap while I waited for Leo to come. He was going to tell me what he is-Gears is working on to help me. I can’t wait for that! I am sure Leo will be able to invent something to help me with that genius mind of his. Especially since it will be Gears not Leonard Geary providing it! He won’t have to hide his true abilities.

But I suppose I should focus on my sister.

“Hi Alex,” replies Joan as she notes her sister is wearing her Iris costume, “What are you doing here?”

“I just thought I’d see how you were doing since I just finished my patrols,” answers Alex, “I figured we could hang out since we didn’t exactly get to do that yesterday. I also have some good news.”

“What is that?” inquires Joan.


“Darkness approached the DSA and Heroes Union today,” says Alex, “And, you won’t believe this, offered to agree to what he called the Cape and Cowl Code of Conduct. To keep things civilised between parahumans so there isn’t tons of grand destructions. And guess what-”

“It includes agreeing not to go after family,” says Joan, leaving her sister speechless.

“How did you know?” demands Alex, hands on her hips.

“I watch the news you know,” points out Joan, “So why are you still floating?”

“Oh, sorry,” says Alex as she lands on the ground, “I sort of do it without thinking now. It’s cool just being able to consider gravity optional. Not as an on-off switch, but more as a slider.”

“That does sound pretty awesome,” Joan agrees with a smile, “I can only imagine what it would be like to just fly through the sky. That said, I would settle for just being able to walk more than a few metres.”

“Look on the bright side,” says Abigail as the copy she left behind reappears next to them, “At least you’re getting better.”

It’s strange having her around. I know that she is always here, but since she spends most of it being invisible, it is hard not to forget about her presence.

“And don’t forget that both Guardian and Gears have offered to help you,” points out Alex once she recovers from the momentary shock of spotting their older sister right next to her, “Those two are geniuses. I’m sure they will come up with something brilliant.”

Oh, I’m sure Leo will. He has never let me down and I don’t expect him to start anytime soon.

“So how are you and Leo?” inquires Alex, “I know the two of you are dating, but...”

She wants to know about Leo? I wonder why. Still I should tell Alex about how great Leo is.

“Leo is the best,” Joan tells her sister, “He is smart, good looking, fit and healthy. Leo has always been there for me and has yet to let me down. He helps with school work and other things that I need help with due to my condition.”

“You like him a lot then?” says Alex.

“As I said, he’s the best,” replies Joan.

Part of me does wonder if our relationship is unhealthy. I don’t think I obsess over him, but then I wouldn’t exactly be able to tell if I were.

You’re not.

 Hello Abby.

Hello Joan.

Hello Divine Magicka.

So how do you know that Leo and I have a healthy relationship?

Because you both have lives outside of each other. You are close, but neither of you base all of their actions around the other. He might be one of the only people that you interact with, but that is due to you not having access to many people. Plus he trusts you. He did tell you about his powers and choice with what to do with them.

Yeah, I guess you’re right.

Neither of you are dependent on the other. Neither of expects the other to ditch their friends for you. Neither of you get jealous when they hang out with other members of your own gender. Neither of you try to control the other. Neither of you play mind games with the other. Doing those things are signs of a bad relationship and you don’t do any of them.

Thank you for the reassurance.

No problem sis.

“You ought to know that with the rest of us renewing our interests in you, so have Mum and Dad,” says Alex, “And Mum seems to be taking on that worrying you being too young to have a boyfriend.”

What on Earth does she mean? Is Mum going to suddenly just barge into my life and start telling me to kick the only person who has been there for me out of it? It doesn’t matter that she is my mother, she does not have that right!

I understand how you are feeling, but I wouldn’t recommend telling Mum in that way. That would just make you seem like a spoiled brat in her eyes who doesn’t know what she is talking about. And that would only make things worse. Let me talk to her first.

Okay, I suppose that would be best. Wait, doesn’t Mum’s powers give her a way to mess with my head? Like yours do?

I would say that I mess with your head, but yes.

Shall I put more barriers in your mind?

Yes please Divine Magicka, but won’t Mum be angry with them?

She shouldn’t be and if she does complain, I’ll just tell her that I was giving my sister protection against mental attacks and ask her why she wouldn’t want that.

Thanks, but you do have to admit it is weird for you to just be able to read my thoughts and mess with my head. You know I trust you right?

Yeah, I know you trust me. And I see how you might be unnerved by the fact I mess with your mind by doing things such as changing your memories, personality and other aspects of your mind.

Really?

Yes, but don’t go spreading that around. I don’t want people to get freaked out by me if they found out. At the moment, the only other person I told is Leo and I assume he told the rest of his team.

Yeah. You’re certain he is okay with the fact I blew his secret identity to you?

Definitely. Leo understands that you didn’t willing do it and had no way to stop it from happening.

I suppose...

You do realise how much he cares about you right? The moment he found out about the Darkness attacking you, he came as quickly as he could and was packing the heaviest piece of firepower he had.

I know, but-

No buts! Leo was carrying a nuclear-powered ray gun and beat the Darkness within an inch of his life.

Okay, okay. Let’s talk about something else.

Like what?

Like, I don’t know, your big boobies!

“I-uh-what,” stutters Abby in real life.

“Huh?” says Alex as she looks at her.

“Joan and I were having a telepathic conversation,” explains Abby, “And it went from discussing Leo and Mum to her asking about my breasts.”

“Well, they are pretty big,” says Alex as she leans mid-air, “Especially compared to Joan’s non-existent ones. What size are you anyway Abby?”

“F Cup now,” answers Abby with a shrug, “Fortunately Aphrodite girls don’t need to wear bras. We seem to have our own anti-gravity fields around them like the superheroines in the comic books. You?”

“Only an E Cup,” replies Alex with a smile as Joan giggles, “Though I really shouldn’t be complaining about having them that big.”

“Man, it’s a shame I’ll never grow up to be like you guys,” says Joan as she lies back in her back, looking up at the ceiling to deliberately avoid seeing the reactions of her two Aphrodite sisters, “It’s nice to be able to joke around like this. Leo never really enjoyed this sort of humour.”

“He didn’t?” inquire Abby.

“Nah,” says Joan, “His sense of humour is odd and much more refined. Not that he complained or anything, but he didn’t really care when I made jokes about silly stuff, just nodding and smiling for my sake.”

They have this awkward silence for a moment as none of them are sure what to say.

“So, urr, Joan, did Leo get that laptop for you?” asks Alex to break the silence.

“Sort of,” answers Joan, “He brought a cheap one and then upgraded it. Leo is extremely smart.”

“Really,” says Alex thoughtfully.

“Yes,” says Abby, “Leo is what I would call a genius.”

“I told you that Leo is the best,” declares Joan proudly.

“As you say,” replies Alex.

Joan blinks as Alex flies over her, looking down at the face.

“So sis,” says Alex with a smile, “Want to take those photos of me as I pose? We never got around to that.”

“You bet,” replies Joan as she grins back.

2 comments:

  1. I post another comment detailing my thoughts on this interlude later today or tomorrow. Right now, I'm busy spending time with family since it is Christmas. Anyway, Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I know that this comment is a day after the post, but it was Christmas yesterday and I was rather busy in real life as a result.

    Anyway, onto the segment. Given how she is a major part of Leo's characterisation, I felt it would be a good idea to have an interlude from Joan's perspective. Plus I wanted to write something from her perspective since Joan is a character I have put a lot of time in developing whilst planning Legacy (the story). The main reason why Joan is one of the more thought out characters is because I didn't want her to end up as nothing more than Leo's love interest.

    Because of that, Joan got a more detailed personality, more background and a relatively detailed family. Speaking of Joan's family, it was originally just going to be a pair of rich parents plus a successful older sibling or two, most likely a sister. Then I decided to make her the youngest of a rich, talented and successful family. Then I decided to give a couple members of the Fowler family superpowers. Then I decided to give more of them superpowers. Just to increase how well off they are compared to Joan. Plus I wanted to test the mechanics of how having superpowered relatives affected your own superpowers when I was designing the Fowler family characters and their powers.

    So onto the interlude's content. First of all, it takes place in the afternoon the day after the end of Chapter Seven. The reason why Joan is doubting whether she and Leo have a healthy relationship is because I had those same doubts at one point whilst writing. Abby's counterarguments are my own opinions after doing research into what healthy and unhealthy relationships were.

    As for the last part of the conversation (the bit about mammaries), was inspired by a recent conversation between my two sisters that I overheard during the period of time that I was writing the interlude (my older sister is a D cup while the younger is a C cup if memory serves). I included a conversation based off of that one because I could so easily picture a similar conversation happening between Joan and her sisters as overhearing my sister. Another thing I wanted to note is that all measurements will be British so the cup sizes mentioned are UK/Austr (I used the table on the wikipedia page for Bra size since such matters I lack practical knowledge in). Just to explain things, in this case, Alex is an American F cup while Abby is a G cup as, according to my research, DD cups and E cups are different bra sizes for British measurements while they are the same thing in American measurements.

    Let's move onto something else as I find such femininely topics strange and awkward to talk about. I also find them to be the hardest to write because, as a man, I don't exactly have experience of female perspective on life.

    So yeah...next time we have the start of Chapter Eight. Chapter Eight is mainly filler plot wise, but it has its own lot of action and we get to see more of what I consider to be important characters. Not only that, but we also get to find out an interesting thing about Legacy, well at least something that I consider to be interesting about her. As for you guys, I have no idea how interesting you'll find it.

    Anyway, next time...I already covered that haven't I?

    ReplyDelete