Friday 11 December 2015

1.7 Guardsmen Part 10

“Thank you for coming,” says Iris to Guardian, “Especially since I forgot where the hospital is.”

“It was easy enough to find out,” replies Guardian, not mentioning exactly how easy it was.

Iris doesn’t need to know that I already had pretty much every bit of information about Joan there since it is all stored to know in Leo’s database.

“You don’t think she’ll be upset?” says Iris nervously.

“She’ll be more grateful than upset,” answers Guardian, recalling something that Leo said to her earlier as she answers, “The Corrigan Hospital has been informed that you are coming to visit your sister by the way.”

“That’s good,” replies Iris, “So Guardian, why are you a vigilante? You got a strong sense of justice from what I heard and you’re good friends with Alexandria so why do you insist on being a criminal? I’m sure the Heroes Union and DSA would be glad enough to recruit you that they wouldn’t punish you for the crimes that you committed.”

“I want to help people and fight evil,” answers Guardian as they approach the hospital, “Following the law would hinder me in doing so.”

The pair of them land outside the hospital and enter it with Iris in the lead. A middle age nurse leads them to the private room that Joan resides in.

Ohh, I finally get to meet Leo’s girlfriend! I heard quite a bit about her from Leo and Jaylyn. That’s right, she is Jaylyn’s mother. Sort of. She had no hand in the creation of Jaylyn, but then I lack biological ties to all of my family.

Family is family. Blood ties matter not as do other factors. That is what family is to those of Deltae.

So very true.

“Hello Miss Fowler,” says a wrinkly man with grey hair from outside Joan’s room, “And, uh, hello Guardian. Welcome, I’m Doctor Henderson. Joan is waiting inside. Please note that due to the time and her condition, she is rather weak and currently quite tired.”

Both Iris and Guardian nod and the doctor leads them inside.

We get to meet Joan! We get to meet Joan! We get to meet Joan!

Joan is resting her bed, but her mismatching eyes are wide open and the girl seems to be as excited as Guardian is.

Just look at her! She is also excited to meet us!

Her skin is pale and poorly while her hair is a colourless mess. Her body looks so sickly and atrophied.

Hmm, you’re right. We ought to figure out a way to deal with that.

Easier said than done if Leo hasn’t already figured out a solution.

“Hello Alexis!” says Joan as she beams at her sister before realising Guardian is there as well, “Hello Guardian!”

“Hello Joan,” says Guardian from the doorway as Iris rushes up to her sister.

“Don’t hug her too hard!” warns Doctor Henderson as Iris hugs her bedridden sister, “It could be very bad for her health!”

“I’m so sorry,” says Iris as she loosens her hug on her sister at the doctor’s words, “I never meant to forget about you.”

“It’s okay,” replies Joan in a tearful voice, “You’re here now.”

“Let’s give them some space,” Doctor Henderson whispers to Guardian and the two of them leave room.

As Doctor Henderson heads off down the corridor to continue with his work, Guardian waits outside the room, using her armour to listen in on the conversation taking place within the room.

“You’re not mad?” inquires Iris hesitantly.

“What’s the point in being mad?” replies Joan, glee in her voice, “You’re here not and it’s not like anybody can change the past.”

“Yet,” says Iris with a hint of humour in her voice.

“Yeah,” agrees Joan, “So you got superpowers now?”

“Oh yeah,” mutters Iris, sounding embarrassed, “I’m surprised you just accepted that I’m me. With my Enhanced rating and all.”

“I saw you on the news,” explains Joan, “So what can you do? You got flight, invulnerability, super speed, super strength, super senses and regeneration right?”

“You forgot energy projection,” replies Iris.

“That is so cool!” says Joan, “Even if it is scientifically impossible. I can’t believe my sister is a real life superhero! I have also been a fan of the genre.”

“Really?” replies Iris, “I suppose you must be excited to know a real superhero then.”

“You have no idea Alexis,” agrees Joan with a giggle.

Iris really has no idea.

Indeed.

“I suppose I don’t,” mutters Iris, “Oh, Gears and Guardian offered to look into a way to help you.”

“Really?” asks Joan, the hope in her voice clearly heard by anyone listening.

Of course, she already knows that Leo was looking into it.

But to have Gears looking into it would be much easier when Leo’s succeeds.

“Really,” confirms Iris.

“That is so great,” replies Joan gleefully, “Say, you wouldn’t mind doing some heroic poses for me? So I could get some photos? I don’t mind if you say no.”

“Oh, don’t worry” replies Iris, “I don’t mind. If I’m honest, I kind of like showing my drop dead gorgeous body. Just don’t tell anyone that. I don’t want people thinking I’m vain or willing to propose for photos.”

“Don’t worry,” giggles Joan, “I’ll keep it secret.”

You could upgrade Joan’s laptop while you’re out here.

Good idea.

Guardian reaches out with her power only to immediately encounter a problem with her plan.

Leo built her laptop and like with the rest of his technology, it is immune to my power.

Interesting, but not exactly surprising or unexpected when you think about.

Yeah, I suppose not.

What about software?

Oh that’s an idea-wait a moment. Is that you Jaylyn?

Yep. What are you doing here?

I was trying to figure out away to improve Joan’s laptop, but that doesn’t seem possible to me at the moment.

Father as already made her the best laptop in the world!

So it would seem. Still, I am certain some upgrades can be made. After countless years of experience, one thing I have seen time and time again is that everything can be improved.

Hello Legacy’s AI! Do you have a name?

Alpha Ceta Omegaris, but you may call me Ceta for short.

Hello Ceta, I am Jaylyn Geary, but you may call me Jay for short.

Greetings Jay. Legacy, you may wish to enter Joan’s room now. Be ready for battle.

What do you-Guardian! You have to save my mother! Please!

Guardian redraws from Joan’s laptop as quickly as possible and leaps into action. She draws two of her four stun batons as she kicks the door open.

Inside is a terrified Joan as a tall and lean man cloaked in darkness holds a struggling Iris by the throat.

1 comment:

  1. So in this segment, discussions and reunions happen. Since I don't want to state the obvious, I just discuss a couple of things that I don't think are easy to pick up from the text. First is that as a Deltaen-Human hybrid who leans toward the Deltaen side, Legacy sees the world through a Deltaen point of a view and has Deltaen values and concepts. This translate into how she her family. For Deltaen, bioglogical ties, legal ties and other fixed factors don't matter when it comes to who they consider family. For Deltaens, family is family and they view more, well, I feel that best way to describe it is the True Companions trope (see TV Tropes).

    The other thing is that energy projection refers to energy manipulation like what a Green Lantern ring does. Because of that, an energy projector can use energy blast, energy constructs and personal energy fields amongst other abilities. As for what type of energy they use, since the energy in question doesn't exist according to the laws of physics, scientist just say that it is power energy that originates from the superpowers of the parahuman.

    As for next time, Guardian battles Darkness.

    ReplyDelete