Sunday 30 October 2016

Interlude - Alexis

Alexis Fowler hovers in the skies of Grand Rapids, far above her home, in her blue and gold costume while she daintily holds her domino mask in her hand.

“Sup sis,” says an unfamiliar voice from behind her and Alex jumps, dropping her mask.

“Who are you?” asks Alex as she turns around and is faced with a platinum blonde, purple eyed Aphrodite woman.

“It’s me, Joan,” replies the woman as she holds out Iris’ mask to Alex, “You dropped this by the way.”

“Umm, thanks Joan,” replies Alex hesitantly as she warily accepts her mask back, “So you manifested…”

“Yep,” says the girl, “I guess I look pretty different now. Is that what is wrong? Would you like me to show you proof of who I say I am or would you prefer it if I took on an appearance more like my old one?”

“Urr, no, it’s fine,” answers Alex, still unsure that this person is actually her sister, but willing to give her the benefit of the doubt given the nature of how powers work.

“You aren’t convinced,” says the girl accusingly as she put her hands on her hips.

“Urr-no, I’m, yeah,” admits Alex, looking away, feeling embarrassed.

If this is actually Joan, I’m going to feel so bad over this and the chances are it actually is my little sister.

“Meh, no worries sis,” replies the girl, “I would probably the same, needing proof first. So, can I use my new powers to convince you? Not that I need your permission, but I would be a real hypocrite if I just used my powers on you without your agreement.”

“Sure,” says Alex, giving the girl the benefit of the doubt, “What are your powers anyway?”

As she finishes speaking, Alex feels as if a switch as flipped in her head. There is no way that this isn’t her sister Joan and Alex flushes red with shame as she remembers how she refused to believe that this person was her little sister.

“A+ Class-are you okay?” asks Joan.

“I just feel guilty that I honestly didn’t believe that you were...you,” replies Alex, looking bashful over the fact.

“Don’t sweat Alex,” says Joan as she suddenly appears next to her and throws an arm around Alex’s shoulders, “As soon as I got a good look at my new self, I figured that I would to convince people that I was who I really was. Anyway, my powers are A+ Class Brick with invulnerability.”

“Nigh invulnerability is part of the Brick power set,” points out Alex.

“I didn’t say I had nigh invulnerability,” replies Joan smugly as she makes sure to empathise that particular word.                                                                                                              

“There is no way-you’re being serious aren’t you?” replies Alex, sounding as stunned as she feels, “Next you’ll be telling me you can be bring back the dead.”

“Oh I can’t do that,” replies Joan casually as she inspects one of her fingers, “Well, maybe I can with my third power, but I haven’t tried that and I’m not going to. I am not crossing that line regardless of  whether or not it is even possible for me to do so.”

“Oh,” says Alex before the implications of what Joan just said, “Wait, what exactly is your third power then? If you consider raising the dead to be a possibility because of your third power...”

“Reality warping,” replies Joan with another smug smirk on her face, “Only restriction is that I can’t directly affect powers.”

“That is bleep awesome,” says Alex, “What are you-did I just bleep?”

“Yep,” replies Joan.

“Why did I just bleep?” asks Alex, “I know you’re behind this Joan so tell me what you did.”

“Oh, I just made things so that every time you swear, it is replaced by a bleep,” explains Joan with a giggle.

“Joan!” exclaims Alex, startled by her sister’s action, “Why would you do that to me?”

“We’re sisters Alex,” replies Joan as she giggles again, “It’s basically my job to mess about with you. Just think of yourself as being automatically self-censored.”

“Urggh,” groans Alex, deciding to let the matter drop.

It doesn’t help that I am helpless against her new powers.

Don’t sis, I won’t do anything to hurt you. This is just a harmless prank.

Get out of my head!

Nah...

Joan!

Alright, alright. It would be mighty hypocritical of me to do this. Besides, I fully understand that no means no.

Thanks.

“So Alex, anything you want me to do for you?” inquires Joan.

“Well, you would you-” Alex starts to ask.

“Nope, not joining the Heroes Union,” says Joan, cutting off her sister, “I’m staying neutral, keeping out of the Cape and Cowl scene. Besides, if I were to go hero, I would end up joining the Guardsmen.”

“So what are you going to do?” asks Alex.

“I’m going to start a healing service,” answers Joan as she clasps her hands together, “With my powers, I can heal people who are disabled or crippled with total ease. People who would otherwise be unable to live normal lives. And not only that, but I can give people who were born unable to walk knowledge of how to walk and run, implant entire languages and knowledge of sounds into those born deaf and help those born blind not be overwhelm by all the colours and sights that this world has to offer. It will be awesome! Now, let me squeeze your boobs!”

“Wait, what?” asks Alex, flabbergasted by that last sentence.

“Come on sis, let’s grope each other,” says Joan as she pounces on the startled Alex, “It’ll be fun!” 

1 comment:

  1. I'm just going to cover a few things briefly. First, Joan is going to prank her sister by making any swear she says into bleeps like you would get on a censored video. Secondly, since her manifestation, Joan is rather impulsive so that when it comes to "harmless" stuff, she won't wait for a yes and will do it unless she is told no. Mostly. For more serious stuff, she will wait for a yes means yes and, as she states above, understands that no means no.

    And given her power, Joan could pretty much take care of the entire world. But that would mean taking free will and choice away from humanity in her efforts to keep everybody safe and happy. Something Joan is isn't willing to do if it is even within her abilities to do so. But to avert the "Reed Richards Is Useless" trope, Joan will instead use her powers to help people in ways that can't naturally occur. In addition to the things she stated above, Joan will probably end up doing things such as giving transmen and transwomen male and female bodies respectively or healing incurable diseases.

    As for next time, we reach the final chapter where Joan and Leo formulate long term plans.

    ReplyDelete