Friday 15 January 2016

1.9 Harbinger Part 1

“So you got a date with Glowbug,” says Leo over the Legacy’s communicator as she walks down one of the expanding base’s many corridors.

Right now, Legacy is on her way to meet him and Joan as they enter the base together. Leo is going to show Joan the base for the first time and Legacy wants to be there for it.

While she and Joan have had minimal contact with each other so far, Legacy really wants to become friends with Leo’s love.

Joan is a good person to be friends as I can share my secrets with her with and doing so would also make Leo happy.

“Yes,” answers Legacy, “She sought me out last night and asked me to be her girlfriend. I said yes as she was clearly attracted to me and I feel that she has enough potential for us to end up in a long term relationship. By dating, we will be able to see if we are suited for a long term relationship.”

But I don’t feel anything towards her.

Deltaen love is not born by appearance, but grown with time and nurtured by actions.

So you said before.

“I like your reasoning, but you might get some bad reputation for dating another girl,” says Leo, “Personally I don’t mind and neither does Jaylyn. I know that Allison won’t and I doubt Scott or Cain will care. But you know how people get about same sex relationships.”

“No, I don’t,” replies Legacy as she reaches the lift while it comes down with Leo and Joan in it, “But I don’t care what other people think anyway. Besides, people already dislike my vigilante activities so this shouldn’t be any different. I am waiting at the bottom of lift by the way.”

“Okay,” says Leo and he ends the call.

A moment later and the lift comes to a halt in front of Legacy. Within seconds the doors are open and Leo strides out with Joan right behind him.

By just looking at the girl, Legacy is instantly reminded that only Abigail’s power is keeping Joan out of a hospital bed.

Her hair is faded and dull while her skin is pale and pasty. Her mismatching eyes are shine, but at are same time lifeless. Her body is atrophied from lack of use.

We need to come up with a more permanent way to heal her.

Agreed.

“Greetings Leo, Joan,” says Legacy as Leo stands aside to let Joan past.

“Hello Guardian!” says Joan chirpily, “Pleasure to meet for real this time. Thank you for saving Alex and I from Darkness.”

“I just held him off long enough for Leo to defeat,” replies Legacy, “And I am pleased to finally meet you as well.”

“I can’t believe you actually took on the second most powerful parahuman in the world on and won,” says Joan to Leo.

“Not just won,” cuts in Legacy, “Leo beat Darkness within an inch of his life and only didn’t finish the job because he wanted Darkness alive to help enforce the Code that Leo had come up with.”

“Seriously?” asks Joan as her eyes widen, “Nobody told me that.”

“He tried to kill you,” answers Leo simply with a shrug of his shoulder, “I couldn’t let him get away or think he could get away with it.”

“Oh Leo!” exclaims Joan as she wraps herself around Leo, “You’re my knight in shining armour.”

“Try not to be too dramatic dear,” replies Leo softly as he hugs her back.

“So Joan, how are you and Jaylyn getting along?” inquires Legacy.

“Wait, who is Jaylyn?” asks Joan blankly as she pulls away from Leo, who looks horrified at Legacy’s words.

Why does he look like that?

Legacy gives Leo a questioning look and he looks away.

What is going on with him?

Ceta just seems amused.

“Leo,” says Joan in a tone that clearly indicates she wants answers as she looks up at her boyfriend, “Who is Jaylyn?”

“Jaylyn is an AI and Leo’s first invention,” answers Legacy, deciding to help Leo out, “She considers Leo to be her father and you to be her mother.”

“That is only because I am her creator and you’re my girlfriend,” adds Leo hastily, “I created her by accident due to a power overload when I first got my powers. I consider her my daughter and love her as such, but I still find it weird to have AI daughter I created at the age of fifteen.”

“I can’t believe you didn’t tell about her,” says Joan as she gives Leo a light punch in the arm, “I want to meet her.”

“You already have,” replies Leo sheepishly, “That software program that helps you out is actually Jaylyn. That isn’t all does mind you. She helps me run all of my operations and then some as well.”

“But I haven’t met her as a person yet,” protests Joan, “What is Jaylyn like?”

“She doesn’t have maturity or age like human,” says Leo, “While she helps me with most things, Jaylyn is still only two months old and is many ways still a young child. Basically she has the knowledge of an adult, but acts like little kid that she.”

“So let’s go,” says Joan excitedly, “I want to meet Jaylyn.”

1 comment:

  1. So this is the first real meeting between Joan and Legacy, when Joan finds out about her "daughter" and well, I'm not really sure what to say about this segment. So I've decided not to say anything even through I'm sure there is stuff I could ramble on about.

    Anyway, after this chapter, the main bad guys of the story, the Ascendency begin to become more prominent.

    So next time, the trio hang out when...something happens.

    ReplyDelete